Creative Director [New York]
Godfrey Dadich Partners (GDP) brings together the best of journalism, strategy, and design to deliver The New Editorial—engaging and meaningful communications. From documentary films and longform journalism to corporate strategies and brand campaigns, GDP helps brands, organizations, and movements tell better stories. GDP was founded in February 2017 by co-CEOs Patrick Godfrey and Scott Dadich. Godfrey co-founded Godfrey Q in 2003, and fourteen years later Dadich joined to lead a new kind of firm. Godfrey Dadich Partners is a part of the kyu Collective.
GDP is looking for a multi-disciplinary creative director. This role will lead projects from brand identities to editorial storytelling, bringing ideas to life across platforms and often in motion. Whatever the brief, you seek to build an authentic connection with audiences, to engage, inform, and delight.
As a creative leader, you want to create work that shares compelling stories and moves people to action. You believe in the power of design—not as decoration, but as a critical tool to activate an idea. Your work demonstrates a commitment to craft and a clear narrative from strategic foundation through to concept and execution. You listen with empathy, explain the “whys” behind decisions, question assumptions (including your own), and share your perspective with conviction. And you understand that achieving great outcomes requires inspiring and empowering teams to do their best work.
This client-facing role is based in either San Francisco or New York City.
Key responsibilities include:
- Define and lead projects from concept to delivery in a wide range of formats: brand identity systems, digital and print editorial, live-action and documentary video, motion graphics and animation, social media, experiential, paid media, and more.
- Mentor, motivate, and manage a group of creatives with a diverse range of backgrounds and skillsets. Foster an inspiring and inclusive work culture and empower all team members to have a voice.
- Develop client relationships built around trust and dialog to enable creative teams to deliver work that pushes beyond the expected.
- Shape and deliver presentations that tell a compelling story—that effectively articulate the concept and convey the strategy or system underlying a proposed design.
- Advise on project scopes and resourcing, always seeking to derive value and excellence.
- Collaborate with the partner-head of creative to determine strategic hiring needs, interview candidates, and train new hires to integrate into a healthy and motivating team dynamic.
- Work closely with the partners and co-CEOs to design business and communications systems for, by, and about Godfrey Dadich Partners, including owned, social, and physical platforms.
- 10+ years experience working in a design, journalism, or advertising environment. Demonstrated understanding of how to establish, market, grow, and evolve brands through design, from startups and nonprofits to large-scale global organizations.
- Experience in a people management role on design teams, with the ability to coordinate and provide creative direction to contractors, external partners, and in-house multi-disciplinary creatives.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex, sometimes abstract, concepts clearly and persuasively—with both client and internal partners.
- Highly collaborative, organized, and resourceful approach. A self-starter who proactively sets benchmarks builds trust and aligns expectations.
- Strong knowledge of design principles and best practices related to a combination of marketing, branding, product, and/or editorial, with a keen eye for typography, grids, and technical craft.
- Passion for bringing ideas to life in digital environments. Demonstrated understanding of current best practices for digital design, including accessibility, motion design, and prototyping.
- Demonstrated fluency with design tools, including the full suite of Adobe Creative Cloud and Figma. Competency working in Keynote and G Suite products. Understanding of animation, film production, and/or development process is a plus.
Godfrey Dadich is an organization dedicated to ideas, process, and vision. But we know that true success comes from people. We are always looking for new collaborators who believe optimism is a strategy for making a better future. And we recognize that great stories come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. Committed to building a more diverse and inclusive team, we value different points of view, and we welcome unconventional paths. If your experience doesn’t entirely conform to the qualifications listed above, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the GDP team.